The BI Developer-Analyst is responsible for developing and maintaining BI solutions, including Extract, Transform, Load (ETL), reports, dashboards, and analytical solutions to support the effective use of data by our clients and consultants and other key stakeholders. Responsibilities include dashboard development, database development and monitoring, data modelling, data dictionary development and maintenance, application development, documentation, maintenance of users and user permission, performing routine periodic processing activities related to key decision support applications, participating in the design, writing, production, and documentation of standard and ad hoc queries and reports, problem identification, analyzing production and asset health data and communicating the findings through the use of data visualization and storytelling.
The BI Developer-Analyst works closely with colleagues to audit, identify and follow-up on issues related to data quality, metric definitions or process deficiencies.
The BI Developer-Analyst acts as a key interface between Data Analytics Leads, Solutions Architect and the Data Analytics (Decision Support) teams at our partner organizations, as well as the Information Management, Information Technology (IM/IT) departments to ensure the solutions meet the business requirements and the technical specifications and adhere to team standards.
This role requires a strong foundation in analytical methods, data warehousing, data visualization and statistics. The position requires access to detailed and confidential information of all types (production, financial, payroll, etc.).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with the capture of business requirements from clients and translate to a visualization (s) development scope.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Business Intelligence Stack, SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, DAX, MDX.
- Expert proficiency in Tableau or PowerBI and other Analytical and Reporting tools. Strong analytical/modeling skills with the ability to convert raw data into actionable business insights.
- Demonstrated knowledge of OLAP technologies and dimensional modeling.
- Strong background in data architecture, data quality, data mapping, and data structures.
- Strong understanding of database and business intelligence concepts.
- Create complex functions, scripts, stored procedures, and triggers to support application development.
- Fix any issues related to database performance.
- Proven ability to interpret data files and record layouts to map fields between multiple systems and database tables.
- Work effectively in an ETL framework driven environment with proven ability to prepare, maintain and publish ETL documentation, including source-to-target mappings and business-driven transformation rules.
- Strong understanding of business processes and transactional systems within the business domain.
- Deliver appropriate end-user documentation to ensure proper use and long-term supportability of visualizations.
- Develop and deploy appropriate and effective robust data visualizations to enable a client to manage specific challenges.
- Develop solutions for internal and external client use.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and prioritize user and business requirements and to conceptualize information processing solutions in response to them, including analyze, scope and define work effort required to correct program deficiencies and problems.
- Strong interpersonal relationship management skills, a team player with a client/user orientation.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to effectively communicate complex ideas/processes in simple terminology to internal and external stakeholders, including all levels of management.
- Strong quantitative, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and maintaining high quality standards.
- Excellent organizational skills with proven ability to plan and execute complex projects.
- Ability to work to independently, meeting deadlines under pressure, with minimal supervision and frequent interruptions.
- Ability to teach, coach and mentor other and Training staff on Business Intelligence and maturing the company's understanding of it's value from C suite to end-user communities
- Increase the adoption and understanding of Tableau/PowerBI within the company and establish a benchmark for Tableau/PowerBI and Data Visualization best practices within the organization.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Recent, knowledge and experience with data modelling, data visualization and reporting tools (specifically, Tableau, SAP Crystal Reports, SSRS and Power BI), ETL, Microsoft BI tools (DAX, MDX, SSAS, SSRS, and SSIS), advanced SQL (Microsoft T-SQL) and analyzing business requirements or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Significant recent experience is also required in the following:
- business analysis and project management;
- coordinating and documenting the change management process for complex information systems;
- writing SQL;
- programming experience in Python, C#, VB.net, Java, etc.
- Version control system experience. i.e. GitHub/subversion/TFS
- Technology-focused, with a strong interest in using systems and data to improve operational problems.
- Experience manipulating data from mine planning, mining fleet management, asset health, machine guidance or autonomous haulage systems is an asset.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- An excellent communicator - both written and verbally.
- Interest in learning business practices.
- A demonstrated interest in finding innovative and practical solutions to resolve complex challenges.
- A demonstrated interest in working in a dynamic environment combining technology, software, and large mining equipment.
- Comfortable working remotely and collaborating via video conferencing.
Position functions autonomously remotely and at client sites. Responsibilities may include training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work, addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Business Analytics, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or a related field plus a minimum of 7 years of experience in Business Intelligence and SQL Systems development is required. A combination of experience and/or education will be taken into consideration.